Here’s my deal…I am a wife, mother and marriage, family and sex therapist. Each of those aspects helps define me but just like you, there’s so much more to me that is irreverent and quirky (OK, maybe not as quirky as Zooey Deschanel, but still). I enjoy a good cocktail, theatre, a good book, bawdy humor, creative ways in which to live life, meditation, yoga, barre, piyo, boot camp, surfing, “I love yous” from my two sprite like kiddos and enjoying date nights with my fantastic husband.
I get jazzed by seeing people positively transform themselves and by bearing witness to people living their lives authentically. Sometimes that means embracing what you are most uncomfortable with. I’ll be the first to tell you that I have been divorced, through the difficulty of depression more than once, breast cancer, I lived beyond a very repressive childhood and I struggle with self-doubt on occasion. Yet, I believe I’ve found a way to not only embrace all those aspects but have them serve me.
For those of you having just read that like a dating profile and wonder if I’m actually legit professionally, here’s the other stuff you probably want to know…
- Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist who has been practicing in the field of counseling and sexual health since 1994.
- AASECT certified Sex Therapist. Yes, you can actually go to school and study sex.
- Bachelor’s degree from Arizona State University in Family Resources and Human Development.
- Master’s degree in Counseling Psychology with a post-graduate degree in Marriage, Family and Addictions Therapy from Ottawa University.
- PhD in Human Sexuality/Clinical Sexology from the Institute for the Advanced Study of Human Sexuality.
- Board certified Clinical Sexologist through the American College of Sexologists.
- Worked many years in the field of public health and I am the current Vice President of Lambda Aloha and a past president of Malama Pono Health Services.
- Long time member of Society for the Study of Sexuality (SSSS) and the American Association of Sex Educators, Counselors and Therapists (AASECT).
- Member of the American Association of Marriage and Family Therapists (AAMFT) and Hawaii Association for Marriage and Family Therapists (HIMFT).
- Associate professor at the Institute for the Advanced Study of Human Sexuality
- Adjunct professor at Akamai University.
- I happen to also be a certified yoga teacher/therapist through a Yoga Alliance approved training program, at the Anahata Yoga School. I like to say that I’m flexible in body and mind.
I get around and I totally mean that in the best way possible. I write and get interviewed for a lot of nationally recognized magazines and websites and do a fair bit of media work, hosting nationally run infomercials for Adam and Eve since 2010, and for 100% Male and Ideal Living since 2015, iTunes podcasts, YouTube videos, and DVD hosting. Check out my press page for specifics.
In addition to all of this, I founded DRKAT, LLC which is a media and product development company. We create entertaining and thought provoking content for companies, the web and television, as well as consult on related television programming. I serve as president, writer and executive producer.
Products currently in development include a line of DrKat adult toys and a supplement line that supports erectile dysfunction for men and arousal issues in women. I’m in the process of starting a lifestyle brand that will include much more than just adult products but all things that support sincere, inspired living. Products and services that will help you live the sexiest and most fulfilled life possible.
I’ve become a bit of a spokesperson extraordinaire in the last couple of years, with my relationships with TwinLab, Lavilin and Alvita natural products and supplements. Of course, I couldn’t forget my fabulous peeps over at Adam&Eve, where I have served as spokesperson and resident sex expert since 2010 and 100% Male with Ideal Living since 2015. You might have caught our infomercials on late night cable television. Come on, you have to admit buying sex toys and male enhancement products at 3am is way more interesting than another muumuu from a ho-hum shopping network.
And yes, you may be seeing a cable network reality show in the near future. There are a few being discussed and you can bet dollars to donuts that I’ll let you know if and when that happens.
My life might seem pretty strange and it certainly isn’t everyone’s cup of tea. But I can truly say that I am at a point where I am connected to my most authentic self. It’s time to spread the joy, information and relationship tune ups that drive my passion for therapy and education!
Whew…that’s it! Now that we know each other better, kick back, relax and check out www.DrKat.com.